Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Like a box of chocolates

I have been having some difficult things happening in my life. Nothing too serious, so please don't start jumping to conclusions, but there are questions in my life that I want answers too. To be broad, I have been lacking direction in my life and things haven't necessarily been working out like I had hoped. This is nothing new I know, but at this time in my life, when I am supposed to be preparing for my future, I was expecting to have a few more answers. I am a man who desires a passion so I can go at it with everything that I have. I have been trying to figure some things out on my own. Considerations have been made about my major, social life, directions, etc. Nothing seems to be working. I have admittedly been frustrated and often discouraged. The feeling is that every day that goes by is a waste if it lacks direction. I was hit by a verse in scripture the other day that reminded my of why scripture is often referred too as a sword. Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." There are so many things that I have been wanting. I am not talking about physical things that you can buy on a shelf, but rather what can be summed up as peace of mind about a plethora of obstacles. This verse talks about us getting our hearts desires when we are following Christ. I'm not talking about getting bling, money, and fame. When we are delighting in Christ we become more and more like Him. He molds us into what He wants us to be and gives us the desire to follow Him passionately. When I focus on Christ and putting Him first in everything I am doing, He will show me the direction I need to go. When I am trying to fix things and understand why certain things have happened on my own, it always ends in frustration and more questions than answers. I should be committing my ways to the Lord and He will give me the desires of my heart because He will have shaped my heart into what He wants it to be.
On a broader spectrum, I have been keeping up with politics and more specifically the presidential race. I don't understand why we think that politics are going to fix things. People are so focused on choosing the right candidate on the democrat and republican side in hopes that they will be elected and save the country from going down the drain. We try to "delight" ourselves in many things other than Christ and we still think that it is going to work. Politics are not going to fix this country world. The thing that is going to change this world is a bunch of people who are delighting in the Lord and seeking to live as Christ intended us to live. He will give us what we want when we allow Him to change our wants into something that will glorify Him. Does He do this just because He is God and can force us to do things. NO!! He knows that this is the only way that we are going to be happy. We can try anything in the world but He knows that the only way we are going to find what we are looking for is to delight ourselves in Him. So, He tells us these things in His word to show us how we can find what we are looking for. The answer is Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man. Braswell! That was straight up honest and truthful. I've got alot of respect for that. It sounds like you are moving in the right direction as you search for answers to your questions. Keep doing it. You won't be let down.

You need to post more! (I'm not really one to say that, because I don't post that much...) But your posts are always good!

TaylorW said...

Braswell, remember that as you 'search for answers' keep in mind Proverbs 18 verse 1... I know from my own personal experience that it can be dangerous trying to figure things out on your own. (but I recognize the need for space) Just be sure to connect with other believers (Like you did in this post) and keep the up with how you are, thoughts, questions etc.

I like what you said about how some peeps think that picking the 'perfect candidate' will save the country. That won't happen this year, nor ever. However, as salt and light - we should try to prevent the decay of this world as much as possible - hence choosing the best possible candidate.

I agree with Adam. I liked the honesty you showed in this post and your transparency of thought.
Keep 'em goin' bro.

Anonymous said...

Great comments and so true. Thanks for the challenge and reminder that we must delight in Him. All to often we focus on things that are secondary in importance.